ownCloud is a free, open source web application for building file synchronization and sharing systems like Dropbox and iCloud Drive. Administrators can use and install additional add-ons / extensions to perform functions such as calendar synchronization and contacts synchronization (similar to G-Suite or Office 365).
Here is a feature comparison table between ownCloud and Google Drive:
1. Overview: Depending on the needs, ownCloud can be one of the following 3 types:
- One-Premise: Store in an internal system (equivalent to Private Cloud)
- Cloud: Cloud storage, remote access (remote)
- Hybrid: Storage in combination with Private Cloud and able to link to Cloud (command) allows flexibility in storage
- ownCloud provides the ability to customize the interface according to the company's identifier and the accompanying features (add-ons) for support (to help synchronize calendar or contacts).
- In addition, you can use the domain as the gateway to access Cloud.
3. User - Client:
- Delta Sync: Only sync files that have changed, and only synchronize changes in that file >> Avoid having to read / write data repeatedly. Then overwrite the old file to avoid duplication, and always make sure the complete file is error free.
- Virtual Filesystem: Function that allows you to select ownCloud files that you need to view directly in your file browser. Can synchronize and cancel them synchronously with one click. This is a long-awaited improvement for usability
4. Content management and sharing:
- OwnCloud provides the necessary functions for security such as: Division of policies by user group, sharing between storage servers ...
- Only upload (File Drop) function to prevent unwanted data deletion. Uploaded files will be numbered with file editing time to avoid data management errors.
5. Interact on data:
- File Commects: Help users to comment directly on data instead of having to download, comment and upload again.
- Ability to edit files: Similar to Microsoft Office files without changing the format.
- Storage Encryption with HSM (Hardware Security Module): a specialized, standards-compliant encryption mechanism designed to protect sensitive data when transmitted, used and through the use of physical security measures, logic security control, and strong encryption.
- End-to-End-Encryption and use with Private Key
7. Storage capacity:
- No limit to data size when Sync (Sync)
- Support many storage formats (both Windows and Linux formats)
- Ability to combine various storage solutions (Dropbox, Google Drive, AWS S3 ...) >> Become a Hybrid Cloud.
- Ability to integrate with FTP / SFTP, as well as MS Sharepoint or WebDAV.
8. Administration ability:
- CLI: Allowed to use Command Line Interface for direct administration.
- Data Retention Policies: Store data according to the marking mechanism - Tagging and can create storage policies for each Tag or File data (eg file A is allowed to save for 2 years)